The City of San José,the Capital of Silicon Valley is one of the nation’s best managed cities andone of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business.
Moreover,San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for theregion. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the followingvalues : Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect andCelebration.
The San José CityCouncil consists of ten Councilmembers elected by district and a Mayor electedat-large, each for four-year terms.
The Mayor and Council are responsible forrepresenting the residents of San José, providing accountability, reviewingpublic policy and programs, and adopting those policies which best meet theneeds of the residents, visitors, and businesses in San José.
The Mayor serves as thepolitical leader in San José, and under the City Charter, is responsible forrecommending policy, program, and budget priorities for the City.
Positions & Duties
The Office of Mayor SamLiccardo is recruiting for a full-time Council Policy & LegislativeAdvisor. This position serves as a key member of the policy team for MayorLiccardo, working on several priority initiatives, making recommendations, anddeveloping action plans for meeting the Mayor's policy objectives.
Thisposition will focus on policy areas including, but not limited to : Sustainability, Transportation, Environment, Water, Energy and Parks.
excellent written and oral communication skills, and theability to develop and maintain effective and collaborative workingrelationships with community members and neighborhood organizations, keystakeholders, and City staff.
Candidates must be willing to workfrequent evenings and weekends, and as exempt management employees, are noteligible for overtime compensation.
Employees in thisclassification are not members of the classified civil service and areappointed "at will." Each appointment is for a specifiedperiod of time to be determined by the appointing Mayor and does not extendpast the end of the elected official's or appointing authority's term.
Thisunclassified position requires a disclosure of outside investments, realproperty interest, income, and business positions.
The Council Policy &Legislative Advisor will be primarily responsible for thefollowing tasks :
Research best practices on assigned policyportfolio.
This recruitment may beused to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. Ifyou are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply toensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize theapplicants from this recruitment.
1. Education : Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science in Public Policy, Public Administration, or closely related field is required.
2. Experience : Any combination of training and experienceequivalent that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to advise theMayor on matters of public policy, democratic processes, constituent service orcitizen involvement.
3. EmploymentEligibility : Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of theireligibility to work in this country.
Please be informed that the City of san Josewill not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department ofLabor.
4. Licenses or Certificates : Valid California Driver's License may be required.
Desired Skills andCompetencies :
The ideal candidate willpossess the most desirable combination of training, skills, and experience,which will allow him or her to serve as a member of the Mayor'sOffice.
Desirable experience, knowledge and skills for this positioninclude :
The selection processwill consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience basedon the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions.
Only thecandidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceedin the selection process. Additional phases of the selection processwill consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include apractical / writing exercise.
You will be prompted toanswer the following job-specific questions during the online applicationprocess. Please note that there is a 4,000-characterlimit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Please describeyour relevant work experience.
2. What is yourcomfort level and experience with field work and community engagement?
3. The Mayor'soffice is fast-paced and requires a flexible schedule. Would you be able toaccommodate working evenings and / or weekends, or possibly an alternate scheduleof Tues-Sat, for example?
4. Please describeany experiences you have in working with culturally and socio-economicallydiverse neighborhoods, including any languages or cultural insights you mighthave.