The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of thenation's best-managed cities and one of the top 10 cities in which to live,work, and do business.
Moreover, San José is the center of cultural,government, and economic activity for the region. The employees of theCity of San José have embraced the following values : Integrity, Innovation,Excellence, Collaboration, Respect, and Celebration.
The City's HousingDepartment is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of theCity's employees.
The City of San JoséHousing Department is a leader in the production of affordable housing. Itsmission is to strengthen and to revitalize our community through housing andneighborhood investment.
The Housing Department has an operating budget of approximately$16.5 million annually and 86 employees. The Housing Department is committed tocreating and supporting a diverse work environment with a staff that valuesinclusion.
The Department’s PolicyTeam is a team of 3.5 full-time equivalent staff focused on providinghigh-quality, well-informed policy development and analysis that supports theDepartment’s functions.
Recent work has included the creation of newresidential anti-displacement strategies, conducting an Assessment of FairHousing, development of General Plan policies encouraging affordable housingand possible single family upzoning, creating a new Source of Income ordinance,establishing tenant preferences for affordable housing, implementing policiesto help the City Council's housing production goals, creation of ADUs and othermoderate-income housing strategies, seeking funding for a new soft story retrofitordinance and program, and tracking and helping to implement the Statelegislature’s bills on housing production.
Positions & Duties
The Housing Department seeks to fill two mid-managementlevel Senior Development Officer positions on the Housing Department's PolicyTeam, which is responsible for policy, program development, and legislative work.
These positions report to the Division Manager overseeing Policy, GrantsManagement, and the Housing and Community Development Commission.
The selected SeniorDevelopment Officer will be responsible for successful delivery of a range of activitiesthat supports all practice areas in the Department, including to :
Attend trainings, attendforums, and monitor legislative proceedings to effectively transfer knowledgeto the Director, Deputy Directors, Division Manager, and other Department andCity senior managers; and,
Oversee website pages,e-blasts, and other communication vehicles to convey the City's interest in andsupport of programs and policies.
Theideal candidate for this position will be a thoughtful leader who combinesanalytical abilities, strong communications skills, an inquiring mind, anability to collaborate with and manage people, comfort with dynamicenvironment, a desire to help vulnerable residents in our community, aninterest in racial equity issues, and motivation derived from knowing that youare making a difference.
Thisrecruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisionsor departments, including time-limited overstrength positions.
If you areinterested in employment in this job classification, you should apply to ensureyou are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicantsfrom this recruitment.
1. Education : Completion of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited collegeor university in Planning, Housing, Geography, Economics, BusinessAdministration, Public Administration, Political Science, Sociology, or relatedfield.
2. Experience : Five (5) years of professional directly relatedaffordable housing policy and development work experience including two (2)years of supervisory or development project lead experience.
3. Certification or License : Possession of a valid State ofCalifornia driver's license may be required for some assignments.
4. Employment Eligibility : Federal law requires all employees toprovide verification of their eligibility to work in this country.
Pleasebe informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a laborcondition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate willpossess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and currentemployment history. Desirable competencies for this position include :
Job Expertise - Demonstratesknowledge of and experience with applicable professional / technical principlesand practices, Citywide and departmental procedures / policies and federal andstate rules and regulations.
Demonstrates knowledge of current issuesfacing lower-income households, trends in affordable housing finance anddevelopment, policy issues relating to housing and homelessness, andlegislative processes at the State and federal level.
Familiarity withaffordable and market-rate housing finance principles, practices and program,familiarity with municipal financing tools and other financing used forcommunity development, such as New Markets Tax Credits and understands LowIncome Housing Tax Credits, tax-exempt bond financing, and federal, State andlocal financing sources.
Demonstrates ability to translate complex policies andideas into understandable reports and presentations.
Analytical Thinking - Approaching aproblem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Collaboration - Develops networksand builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities.
displays openness toother people’s ideas and thoughts.
Multi-Tasking - Can handle multipleprojects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety ofassignments in past and / or current position(s).
demonstratesempathy and organizational awareness.
provides motivational support; empowers others; assignsdecision-making and work functions to others in an appropriate manner tomaximize organizational and individual effectiveness.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships withcoworkers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and usingcollaboration and conflict resolution skills.
The selection process will consist of anevaluation of the applicant’s training and experience based on the applicationand responses to the Job Specific Questions.
Only candidates whose backgroundsbest match the position with be invited to proceed in the selectionprocess. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of oneor more interviews, one of which may include a practical / written exercise.
You will be prompted toanswer the following job-specific questions during the online applicationprocess :
1. Have you completed a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college oruniversity in Planning, Housing, Geography, Economics, Business Administration,Public Administration, Political Science, Sociology, or related field?
If yes,please indicate the college or university and the field in which you obtainedyour degree.
2. Do you have five (5) years of directly related work experience, includingtwo (2) years of supervisory or development project lead experience?
If so,please describe your experience and the number of direct reports and theirclassification(s).
3. Do you have experience doing professional-level staff work in the area ofpolicy analysis? If so, please describe your experience.
4. Do you have experience with data collection and analysis? If yes, pleasedescribe the type of data and reports prepared, the data and techniquesutilized to prepare the analyses, who the audience was, and how you developedand presented your analyses.
5. Doyou have experience in tracking or advocating legislation at the State and / orFederal levels? If so, please describe your experience.
6.Have you used a racial equity lens in your previous work? If so, pleasedescribe your experience and the way in which it was used.